The Student News Site of Liberty High School

Liberty Central News

Liberty Central News

Liberty Central News

Making A Splash!

The 2024 Liberty Swim Team

2024 Liberty Swim & Dive Team

Liberty High School is home to several incredibly gifted sports teams and among them is our LHS Swim and Dive Team. The team has around thirty swimmers and they have been coached for many years by Coach Battin. Liberty’s own Chemistry teacher, Coach Christy, is also part of the swim team’s staff.

Swimming is a challenging sport with practices after school five days a week  and swim meets on Saturdays. At meets swimmers can choose from 8 individual events and 3 relays. There are also four different strokes that people can swim: butterfly, backstroke, breaststroke, and freestyle.

The swim team recently had their tryouts and their first swim meet. The team will have several other competitions from now until May. During May the team will participate in the Regionals and State competition where both girls and boys are a part of the 5A division.

Liberty Junior, Addison Kasden, is one of the swim team’s captains this year. She has been on the Liberty Swim team for three years. Addison commented, “I really like the sense of community swim has built and the amount of freedom you can have within the sport. The people are supportive and it creates a fun and enthusiastic atmosphere.”

Swimmer practicing freestyle

““I really like the sense of community swim has built and the amount of freedom you can have within the sport.””

— Addison K. – Swim Captain

Addison’s favorite events to swim are the 100 butterfly and 50 freestyle. As one of the team’s captains, she has put in a lot of effort into making the team successful this season. She stated, “I’m excited to see all of the hard work I’ve done this season be exhibited”.

The swim community is close and the teammates of the LHS Swim & Dive team truly care about each other. Addison mentioned, “I’m also excited to become acquainted to the new swimmers this year and make sure they’re having a good time.”

Sophomore Lilliana Abi-Nader has been on the team for two years. She remarked, “I love the friendships that I’ve created on the team and I love the encouragement from each person.” Lily enjoys how swimming helps her challenge herself. She is excited for team bonding and to improve her times this season. Lily’s favorite event is the 100 butterfly.

If you’re looking for a way to support the Liberty Swim team, their next swim meet is at the Henderson Multigenerational Center on March 23. Come down at 11:30 AM to cheer on the team.

Liberty Swim & Dive Logo

Donate to Liberty Central News

Your donation will support the student journalists of Liberty High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.