The Student News Site of Liberty High School

Liberty Central News

Liberty Central News

Liberty Central News

Inclusivity at Liberty: GSA

GSA sign located on the Club Bulletin Board

The Gay Straight Alliance (GSA) is a club on campus that promotes inclusivity and education on LGBTQ+. Every Monday from 1:30- 2:00 pm members of the GSA gather in room 230 to discuss recent updates within the LGBTQ+ community and support one another in their experiences. The goal of this club is to achieve a more supportive environment and endorse a more LGBTQ+ friendly curriculum.

Emyr Dufin, president of the club, explains how being in GSA has benefited him and could do the same for others. “Everybody there is wonderful and we almost never have any problems and it’s such a great club. You really do feel safe there.” Duffin goes on to describe a typical meeting and what occurs within the hour, stating “At the beginning we had a presentation on different definitions in the community like coming out, how to do it safely, and how to know when it is safe to come out to friends and family.” Club supervisor, Kristi Forehand, reinforces this by saying, “We talk about different topics that relate to the LGBTQ+ community. We try to educate everyone.” GSA is always open to new members.

Welcoming people involved with the club strive to provide a safe haven for LGBTQ+ students.

Instagram tag and the classroom welcome meeting

Donate to Liberty Central News

Your donation will support the student journalists of Liberty High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.