The Student News Site of Liberty High School

Liberty Central News

Liberty Central News

Liberty Central News

The Future of Wrestling: Melvin Whitehead

Melvin Whitehead, a 2 sport athlete is not only one of the best athletes at Liberty High School, he is also one of the smartest. Melvin is a 3x wrestling regional champ and a 3x wrestling state champion, winning his third state title this past Saturday.  Melvin is also an exceptional football player for the Liberty varsity team.

He has been doing both sports at a varsity level since his freshman year. We asked Melvin how it feels to be a 3x wrestling state champ and he says, ¨it feels great knowing that I can bring attention to this sport and school that does not get a lot of attention.

Melvin has also been given CCSD´s athlete of the year during his sophomore year, finishing the year with a state title in wrestling and a 4.0 gpa. We asked Melvin how important the classroom is and education while being a athlete he says,  ̈ It matters the most because without good grades it does not matter how good you are at your sport your won’t be able to take it to the next level without good grades.¨ So while Melvin is an exceptional student and athlete, Melvin enjoys them so much because he feels himself while wrestling and is dedicated to win. In the future, Melvin has plans on playing wrestling in the college level at Purdue University.

Donate to Liberty Central News

Your donation will support the student journalists of Liberty High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.